Welsh Triathlon Announces First Virtual National Championship Event!
Henry Wright (White Rock Tri) recently ran a very successful Zwift Welsh Grand Tour and now has set up a new Series. So if you are looking for a challenge over the coming weeks, why not join the Zwift Welsh Grand Tour: Summer Points Series? With the first stage last weekend contested by over 100 triathletes, the points-based series will be the best 4 results from 6 events, so it is not too late to get involved - races take place every other weekend on Saturday at 10:05.
As part of this new series, we are delighted to announce that Stage 5 on the 8th August, 10:05 am will be the FIRST EVER Welsh Triathlon Virtual National Championship event!
Our aim is to provide a stage for our clubs and members to do some racing, whilst keeping safe in these challenging times, and maintaining the element of friendly competition and engagement that our members and club teams would have experienced through our 2020 domestic events calendar. It might not be the Welsh Triathlon Super Series (watch this space…) but hopefully can create some fun and club rivalry at a time when we’re all feeling the strain.
The event (as with the rest of the Summer Series) is totally free to enter, however, riders must be registered with Zwift and appear on Zwiftpower for results purposes. All abilities are welcome - the more the merrier! The course will be announced soon and will be approximately 2hrs in length with hills to allow attacks and make for an exciting race.
How do I sign up?
- If your club is already taking part in the series, please contact your team captain to make sure you have been added to the entry list
- If you are a new club/individual that would like to join, please contact Henry and he will be able to help you sign up.
- Enter the race through the Zwift website or the Companion app – more details here. The race will appear on the calendar approximately 7 days in advance
- Register with Zwiftpower
- Add the suffix ‘WGT’ to your name in your Zwift profile – e.g. John Smith WGT - this is very important as the races are open entry to all Zwifters, so it allows Henry to find you in the results pages – No WGT = No Results
National Championship Eligibility
To be eligible for the Welsh National Championship title, you must be a valid member of Welsh Triathlon. For further information on membership and how to join, please CLICK HERE. Please email admin@welshtriathlon your membership number and declare your interest to take part in the National Championship.
Virtual National Championship Rules
An overview of the Virtual National Championship rules are as follows:
CATEGORIES & ENTRIES
To ensure a smooth entry and results process:
- Championship titles will be awarded as per the following categories (male and female):
- Please enter the correct race category - if you exceed the power/weight limits and are disqualified by ZwiftPower, your result may not be counted. If you are on the cusp of going up a category, go up – everyone starts at the same time for this event, so there is no advantage to being in a higher or lower category, and it will affect your standings for the overall Summer Points Series if you are in the wrong one.
- Riders MUST finish the event and be present on the ZwiftPower results (no exceptions and no catch-up events) – unfortunately whilst we know it is frustrating, there can be no exceptions/compensation for technological issues.
- Riders must have the WGT suffix at the end of their Zwift name
To make the racing as fair as possible, in order to be eligible for National Championship podium places, riders must:
- Ride with a power meter (e.g. Stages, 4iii, Garmin Vector) or smart turbo trainer (e.g. Wahoo, Tacx, Wattbike). Riders without accurate power figures (i.e. using ZP) are welcome to compete but will be listed separately and not be eligible for Championship titles
- Photograph weigh-in - to prevent weight doping. A rider's declared weight on Zwiftpower needs to be their racing weight
- Pre-getting on the bike
- Wearing the clothing they will ride the event in (EXCLUDING SHOES).
- Weight should be entered to the nearest kg
- Send a photograph of their weigh in, with the weight and a time/date stamp (e.g. off a phone) clearly visible in the picture to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can cross reference against the Zwiftpower results