Selection Update- May 2021
As restrictions ease, we wanted to share an update on certain aspects of the Pathway programme going forwards. This article will cover the following topics:
- May to September 2021 training & racing opportunities.
- August camp.
- Selection Process for the 2021-2022 Academy Programme.
May- September 2021 Training & Racing Opportunities
We will be holding another round of RTD in June (TBC) with an open water swim focus. It was clear from the feedback on the April days that there is a demand for these types of training days, and we look to facilitate as many days as we can within the confines of our coaching and budget resource.
The British Youth & Junior Super Series is also due to start in June with the Aquathlons in Bowood and Lochore, followed by the Performance Assessments in July. A full breakdown of the events can how to enter can be found here.
With races coming back onto the calendar, we would encourage athletes to get back out and race where they can whilst also maintaining their daily training within their clubs.
August Camp 2021
We are planning to run a summer camp in Cardiff from 16-19th August 2021. We have capacity for up to 20 (TBC) athletes to attend. Invitation to attend the August camp will be based on the following:
- Any current Welsh Development Academy members (and affiliate members) will be offered an automatic invite.
- The remaining invites will be allocated to athletes who are aged between 15 and 19 years of age as of the 31st of December 2021 based on the below:
- Their best 200m (youth)/400m (junior) swim times
- Their best 1500m (youth)/3k (junior) run times from within the past 18months.
- We will then allocate invites based on the capacity available and suitable levels of athletes to create the best training environment.
Youth athletes- 15 & 16 years old as of 31st December 2021.
Junior athletes- 17, 18 & 19 years old as of 31st December 2021
The deadline to submit your performances is Friday 30th July 2021. The application form can be found here.
Selection Process for the 2021-2022 Academy Programme
Welsh Triathlon have implemented several changes to the selection process and delivery of our Academy programme going forwards. You can find all the information relating to the Welsh Triathlon Academy Programme (WTAP) on the Welsh Triathlon website HERE or the Academy Handbook (coming soon). The Academy Handbook has been written collaboratively by the Home Nations and British Triathlon to give an overview of the Academy programme and how it fits into the wider British Performance Pathway.
From September 2021, the process to be selected is shown below. We had hoped to bring this new process in for the 2020-21 season when selecting athletes in September/October 2020 but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we had to put this on hold.
- Selection application is open now and can be found HERE.
- We are planning to hold a day in each region during July/August where athletes can access pool time and an opportunity to complete the dustbin test.
- The deadline for application is 1st September 2021 with the selection panel meeting in the week commencing 6th September 2021.
- Applicants will be notified of selection or non-selection by 5pm Monday 13th September 2021.
We will continue to review the situation and the access athletes have had to train and/or racing opportunities to ensure we are making the selection as fair as possible.