Athletes can be invited to be members of the Performance Centre if they are one of the following:
- An athlete competing at elite international level in ITU events;
- A Cardiff Metropolitan University student;
- A Cardiff University student; OR
- Additional athletes who can evidence the ability to enhance the training environment
We currently operate a Performance Squad of 16 athletes, who operate almost all of their training together. We are also building good links with the AU Triathlon club at Cardiff University and the single-discipline clubs at Cardiff Met, which are all thriving, student-run clubs.
The AU clubs are open invite, with the Performance Squad membership decided by selection by the coaching team. These selections are currently made on a combination of:
- Triathlon Race Results
- Single-Discipline Performances
Currently the guideline MINIMUM performance standards* for the Performance Squad are:
- Top-20 in a BTF Junior Gateway/Qualification event
- WOMEN: <10:15 800m Swim & <19:00 5km Run
- MEN: <9:45 800m Swim & <16:00 5km Run
*Please note that for 2020-21 there are more athletes who have applied that meet the above standards than available places, and therefore these standards are likely to rise slightly in future years, as we continue to receive an increased number of applications.
More details of the 2020-21 Selection Process and Policy can be found HERE.
Due to the progression of the Centre over the past few years and the increased numbers of athletes wishing to join NTPCW, we have been in discussions with both Cardiff Met and Cardiff University over the creation of a formal, fully-supported University Development Squad. This was initially planned to be implemented in September 2020, however has been delayed until 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Further details will be added here when they are available.
Athletes on our Performance Squad are able to apply for additional support from the University sport programmes, which enable free access to additional support services, such as physio, massage, nutrition.
Cardiff Met Sport Scholarships:
Cardiff University High Performance Programme [HPP]:
We also have a very good relationship with both Universities in terms of helping with factors such as:
- Selecting accommodation
- Academic flexibility - to allow you to balance your academics and sport e.g. around exams, races, training camps etc or by studying part-time